Monday, September 19, 2011

Nationalism and the U.S.

Sorry for being late with the blogs, but thankfully it won't effect the group. For my own sake I will get things straight soon.
Okay, on to reading - I was immediately taken in the discussion of nationalism in the Waisboard readings. A day or two leading up to 9/11, one of the talking head segments on, I believe, MSNBC, comparing the current climate of the country to that of the period after the disaster occurred. One of the commentators stated that the feeling of unity country felt after the terrorist attack was brief but powerful; the lack of unity that citizens are confronted with today is one of the country's primary problems. The argument was not that we become jingoistic, as we arguably have a political party that embraces that, but true nationalism, a true coming together of the country. I'm not sure I heard the words "World War II" but they were likely there - it seems that whenever pundits have these conversations WWII comes up, Roosevelt, New Deal and such for comparison. However I haven't recalled anyone mention (on-air anyway) that perhaps the dissent and suspicion plaguing American's today is not being helped by the media's contribution to the division of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment